On Wednesday’s Philosophy in Action Radio, I interviewed paleo nutrition coach and endurance athlete Nell Stephenson about “Paleo for the Endurance Athlete.” The podcast of that episode is now available for streaming or downloading. You’ll find it on the episode’s archive page, as well as below.
Remember, you can automatically download podcasts of Philosophy in Action Radio by subscribing to Philosophy in Action’s Podcast RSS Feed:
- Enhanced M4A Feed: Subscribe via iTunes or another podcast player
- Standard MP3 Feed: Subscribe via iTunes or another podcast player
Podcast: Nell Stephenson on “Paleo for the Endurance Athlete”
What is the paleo diet? How can athletes and others benefit from it? What kind of training and nutrition is required for endurance competition? What’s wrong with the standard methods of training and nutrition for athletes?
Nell Stephenson is the author of Paleoista: Gain Energy, Get Lean, and Feel Fabulous with the Diet You Were Born to Eat and the co-author of The Paleo Diet Cookbook. She studied Exercise Science at USC, followed by culinary school. She now owns and operates her paleo nutritional counseling business online with clients around the globe. Nell discovered paleo after contracting a parasite during an Ironman race in 2004.
Listen or Download:
- Duration: 1:00:24
- Download: Standard MP3 File (20.8 MB)
- Nell’s history with endurance competition and the paleo diet
- Contacting Loren Cordain
- The basics of paleo, including dairy
- The benefits of eating a paleo diet
- The pleasure of endurance training and competition
- Finding physical activities that you enjoy
- The standard advice for nutrition and what’s wrong with it
- Nutrition in preparing for competition
- Nutrition during competition
- The importance of timing during competition
- The difference that paleo has made for Nell’s performance in competitions
- Training for endurance events
- Nell’s training schedule
- Endurance and paleo
- Recovering after competition
- Paleo is not too hard
- Nell’s new book, Paleoista
- Nutritional consulting and downloads
- Plans in the works
- Paleoista: Gain Energy, Get Lean, and Feel Fabulous with the Diet You Were Born to Eat (kindle edition)
- The Paleo Diet Cookbook (kindle edition)
This episode is sponsored the incomparable Audible.com.
I’ve subscribed to Audible since 2005. With my “Platinum Annual Membership,” I enjoy 24 books per year for just under $10 per book. I read more books, thanks to Audible. I listen to books while in my car, as well as while cooking, cleaning, gardening, and more. I enjoy books more too, particularly fiction: a good reader adds a rich layer of color to the text.
If you want to try the delights of listening to books, be sure to take advantage of our special podcast-only offer of free 30-day trial subscription. You’ll get a great deal, and you’ll support Philosophy in Action in the process. It’s a win-win – and I love that!
About Philosophy in Action Radio
Philosophy in Action Radio applies rational principles to the challenges of real life in live internet radio shows on Sunday mornings and Wednesday evenings. For information on upcoming shows, visit the Episodes on Tap. For podcasts of past shows, visit the Show Archives.
Remember, Philosophy in Action Radio is available to anyone, free of charge. That’s because our goal is to spread rational principles for real life far and wide, as we do every week to thousands of listeners. We love doing that, but each episode requires our time, effort, and money. So if you enjoy and value our work, please contribute to our tip jar. We suggest $5 per episode or $20 per month, but any amount is appreciated. You can send your contribution via Dwolla, PayPal, or US Mail.